The History of BAS

Welcome to this ongoing history of sport in the Ballarat Associated Schools (BAS). Its history and that of its parent associations including BPSA, BSGSA, BGSA, BSSA and CHISSA is quite complicated. On most occasions formal arrangements for the organisation of inter-school sport has occurred although in the early years for girls most fixtures were informal.

BPSA began in 1912, BSGSA in 1911, BGSA in 1960, BSSA in 1977, CHISSA in 1980 and BAS in 2004. In the 1970s nine schools competed in the BGSA and the 1980s nine schools were in CHISSA.

Under the Associations Incorporations Act 1981, Ballarat Schools’ Sports Council Inc. (BSSA Inc) was incorporated on 7 June 1991. After a decision to form the Ballarat Associated Schools (BAS) was made in 2003 the name of the association was changed and Ballarat Associated Schools Inc. was incorporated officially on 3 February 2004.

This booklet is a ‘work in progress’ that will have the capacity to have the addition of further material. Stories from the past or information about recent and future events can be added by contacting BAS Executive Officer Sharyn Canny by email: or by mobile on 0421052969.

The booklet brings all BAS records up-to-date for the end of 2008. In 2008 the member schools of BAS were:

Ballarat & Clarendon College (BCC) was a 1,200 student, K. to Year 12 independent, co-educational, day and boarding school of the Uniting Church. The K-4 campus was located in Mair Street and the 5-12 campus in Sturt Street.

Ballarat Grammar (BG) was a 1,300 student, K. to Year 12 independent, co-educational, day and boarding school of the Anglican Church. It was located in Forest Street, Wendouree.

Ballarat High School (BHS) was a 1,400 student, coeducational, secondary, public day school located at Sturt Street West.

Damascus College (DC) was a 1,050 student, coeducational, secondary, Catholic day school. The 7-9 campus was located in Victoria Street Ballarat East and the 10-12 campus in Geelong Road, Mount Clear (from 2009 year 9 was located at the Geelong Road campus).

Loreto College (LC) was an 800 student, independent, secondary, Catholic day school for girls located in Sturt Street.

St Patrick’s College (SPC) was a 1,150 student, secondary, Catholic day and boarding school for boys located in Sturt Street.